Friday, April 6, 2012

It Is Finished

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.” 1 John 3:16

Good Friday. 

I really don't have the words to say. I sit at my computer with a heart heavy from grief, pain, and heartache. So many of my friends are hurting by loss, and I hurt with them. These past few days have been emotionally draining and tough. We lost a friend, fellow student, and incredible follower of Christ. 

I also don't have words to express how I feel about the death of my Savior. I read through Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John with a heavy heart. He took so much for me. It was my sins that were nailed to that cross. When He told the Father "Let your will be done" it was me He was thinking of. And every day that I sin, every harsh word, every mean thought, I am putting myself into the story. I am a part of the crowd of mockers, of the ones who tortured my Savior. It is me who nailed Him to the cross, every day. 


He still took the pain. The torture. The incredible agony of the cross. And He did it for me. For my sins. For my heart. So that I can live forever in a relationship with Him. 

I am so thankful that the story doesn't end on Good Friday. It continues. The weekend ahead is filled with hurt and pain. But it is also filled with hope. Because the best part of the Easter story occurs on Sunday. And I know that my Redeemer Lives. 

It is with joy that I can look back on the cross. Because of my Savior. 

It is finished. 


At noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)
When some of those standing near heard this, they said, “Listen, he’s calling Elijah.”

Someone ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down,” he said.

With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.
The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!” Mark 15:33-38 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...