Monday, June 13, 2011

Making Bagels


The other day I decided I wanted to try my hand at making bagels. They turned out amazingly delicious, and everyone loved them! Here are the steps to making bagels:
First put in a batch of bagel dough into your bread machine or make up a batch and set it to rise. I just used the bagel recipe out of the book that came with our machine.
This is the recipe I used:
1 cup of water
1 tsp of lemon juice
1 tsp of salt
1 1/2 tbl of sugar
3 cups of bread flour
2 1/4 tsp of yeast
This recipe makes 6 bagels. I doubled it for about 12 bagels. Put the ingredients in the bread pan as listed. If you don't have a machine, mix the ingredients together and set it aside to rise.
Once the bread looks like this, you are ready to create your bagels.

Now, turn the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, split the dough into balls. For a single recipe, you should have 6 balls of dough, for the double, 12 balls of dough.

In the center of each ball, create a hole 1-2 inches wide. Flatten them down, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover with a towel, and let them rise for about 10-15 minutes, or until your bagels are nice and fluffy. Put a 3 quart pot of water on the stove, and bring to a boil.
Bagels before Rising:

Bagels after rising:

Now, a couple of bagels at a time, drop them into the pot of boiling water. Let boil for 3 minutes, turning them once, so each side boils for about a 1 1/2 minutes. Then, remove from water and place on greased cookie sheet. Do this with all the bagels. Once out of the water, brush the bagels with one beaten egg so that they are shiny. If you are going to add a topping, such as cinnamon sugar, chocolate chips, onions, etc, place the topping on the bagels after brushing with the egg.
My chocolate chip bagels are egg brushed and ready to go:
 Place bagels into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
These bagels are perfect!
Let cool, then either eat them or save them for another day. These bagels didn't last long in my house! :) Enjoy!
Feel free to print this page for the recipe. If you decide to make your own bagels, let me know how it works! 

4 comments:

  1. I remember making bagels back in college! My daughters and I made homemade pretzels today - yummy! We were actually doing an experiment and made one without yeast (not so yummy) and the rest with yeast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, pretzels! I will have to try that one...did you have a specific pretzel recipe you used, or just a basic dough recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a basic dough recipe - flour, yeast, water - then we glazed them with egg. They were easy and they were cooked in 10 minutes on 425.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thanks, I will definitely have to try some of those. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...